Wednesday, April 9, 2008

NICU ups and downs

During my mourning phone call to the NICU the nurse reported that Hunter's ET tube (the vent tubes in her mouth) was changed due to it showing false readings on the monitor and when they tried to adjust it Hunter moved and it came out. This was good and bad news for me. Hunter's infection is in her lungs due to the tubes. Yesterday I ask the infection control MD to replace the tube with a new one to increase Hunter's chances of fighting the infection. The MD stated that they try antibiotics 1st, then if that doesn't work then they swap out tubes. Putting in a ventilator tube is so hard especially for a micro preemie like Hunter. So when they removed the old tube it was filled with yellow gunk. Hopefully this will give Hunter a new start with clearing her lungs. The bad part is it tired her out and she was given ativan to calm her down. Hunter was removed off of the HiFi machine that helps keep her Co2 levels down and she received new IV lines in both arms. Last night was very busy for Hunter so the nurses felt it was best to let her rest today and not kangaroo. I watched her sleep most of the day. She didn't open her eyes today not even when I changed her diaper. The culture results that came back today shows two out of three of the infections gone. This is great news. Hunter will be tested daily and she will stay on contact isolation until she goes home. If it was up to me every one would be in a sterile moon suit before they touch her. On a more positive side she is still doing well with her feedings and bowel & bladder. I see many changes in her daily. Her little body is filling out. She is having voluntary movement of her hands and arms. She is looking more and more like her dad and I every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Charles:

You folks are doing a great job - I will hold you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I know God is watching over her!

Sincerely,

Deborah Hagar - ULV Professor