Friday, April 25, 2008

Family blessings

This is the hardest thing I have ever gone through. Being a Hospice nurse I know all about death and dying, infections and disease, pain and suffering but when it’s your own flesh and blood in the hospital life is at a stand still. Most days I can handle it. Seeing Hunter every day gives me energy and reaffirms my faith. After being in the NICU on Thursday I broke down with tears to Charles. The anxiety is overwhelming. The life of a preemie with the ups and downs in Hunter’s health would bring any one to tears. Thursday was a down day for Hunter. She had her monthly brain scan which normally shows nothing, came back with calcium on the vessels. This typically means that she had an infection that left a residue on the vessels. Hunter never had a brain infection. The NICU docs informed me that the top radiologist have reviewed Hunters brain scan and are not worried. The calcium has no effect on her brain activity and it will go away as she grows. Hunter has also developed hypertension (high blood pressure). She is now taking a drug called hydrolazine to lower her hypertension. The side effect of this drug is tachycardia (high pulse). Hunter is also given caffeine, which increases her pulse but it helps her breath. I’m sitting next to her crib hearing all of this information and her monitor alarms are going off every 2-3 minutes, I just popped. Charles calmed me down by reminding me about all the blessings our family has by having Hunter. She is doing well with tolerating all the breast milk, she is gaining weight and she has a bad temper just like her mother. Bursting into tears instantly relieved my stress. I’ll probably schedule a break down once a week, poor Charles.

No comments: