Saturday, May 10, 2008
True Meaning of Motherhood
On the eve of Mothers day I took time to reflect on this amazing journey. The events that led up to this day have given me a true admiration for mothers. Tasha is an unbelievable mother. Day in and day out she arrives at the hospital like clock work to assist in the care, provide breast milk and hold Hunter. The bond Hunter and Tasha have goes beyond words. The simple recognition of Tasha's voice has an immediate effect on Hunter's vital signs. I know it is very difficult to have this amazing bond with your child and leave empty handed every day. It can take a tremendous toll on a mother being limited to the amount of time she can hold, touch, and see her young infant child. As a child it is equally distressing to know that mom is not around in the we hours of the night. With that said Tasha and Hunter are troopers. Their pure desire to unite outside the hospital walls keeps them pressing on and gets them through each challenging day. Tasha is not the only courageous mother in the NICU. If you were to define what a mother is it would be listed under NICU in the dictionary. A couple of weeks ago I was heading to the hospital and I saw a familiar face get of the bus. At the time I could not recall where I saw her before but I knew our paths had crossed before. An hour later I looked up and I saw her in one of the corners of the NICU. She was one of the mothers of the children. Dedication, was the word that instantly popped in my brain. This young mother took the bus everyday to see her child. Motherhood goes beyond the mothers who have children in the NICU. The self sacrificing nurses who are mothers and grand-mothers to their own children often spend more time with the children in the NICU than they do with theirs. Their unrelenting concern and compassionate nature exemplify what a true mother is. They often sacrifice there time with their own families to ensure that our children are getting the best care possible. Fittingly enough I will never view Easter the same way again, because that was the day we were delivered a miracle. Seven weeks later I have a new profound view of Mother's Day. Tomorrow most of us will give our mothers, flowers, candy, or take them to a traditional brunch. All these means are very admirable. However, while performing these traditional mother's day task take time to look your mother or the mother of your children in the eye and say thank you, and I love you. What I have witnessed over the past seven weeks will change the way I look at Mother's Day. A mother's love is unrelenting, unconditional, and irreplaceable. Hunter you are surrounded by the most amazing group of mothers on the planet. Happy Mother's Day to everyone in the NICU and happy Mother's Day Mom, and Tasha I love you both.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Happy Dias De Las Madres!
Que Dios los Bendiga.
Post a Comment