Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Good Day"

The word that is frequently being used in the NICU is "good day". That are the words they have used to describe Hunter over the last couple of days. Her PDA appears to have closed which is good news, and she is still breathing on her own about 92 percent of the time. She looked a little more comfortable today and was asleep the entire time Tasha and I were there. This was the first time Tasha has seen Hunter since early Sunday morning. She was overcome with emotions. She was so happy to see her and was brought to tears from the sight of the small tubes in her mouth and belly button. Hunter is quite the talk of the NICU. She is the youngest and smallest baby in the unit and she is very active. We were reunited with one of the team members that airlifted her out. Tasha and I could do nothing but thank her. She said from her experience African-American girls do better than any other preemie children. She could explain the gender part of the equation. She said a boys testosterone blocks the secretion of surfactant which acts as a lubricant in the lungs while girls have no problems. However she didn't have a theory on the race part of the equation. What everyone in the unit was cautious to tell us is as well as Hunter is doing she could easily take two steps forward and one step back. She still has a long way to go, but the more "good days" she has this early in the process gives her a better chance.

1 comment:

SandiD said...

Dear Charles and Tasha,

Karen has kept me informed regarding Hunter Grace. I love her name!!!

I have prayed to God for her complete and total development in every area. We know God is the Healer.

I also pray God's comfort, peace and strength for the two of you during this trying time.

God has a special purpose for Hunter Grace and His purpose will be fulfilled!

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on this site. I will call you this weekend to speak with you personally. Remain in God's Word and continue to confess His Word's over Baby Hunter.

Love to you both,

Auntie Sandi